Friday, May 8, 2015

The Damn Newsletter: Top 10 Shows on Television (Spring Edition Part I)

Greetings and Salutations,

Recently my co-workers and I were just discussing TV shows that we thought were great.  Don't think we weren't working...uh...we were on a break?  Anywho, we were discussing great TV and we all had the same problem.

It's too many shows to watch.  Between your DVR, On Demand, favorite shows that you have to watch live or people like me ruin it on social media (guilty!), Netflix, etc.  There's far too many shows out there that are generally awesome.  Now since I have wanted to write a top 10 best shows on TV newsletter for quite some time but have not for fear that I would leave some important ones out, I came up with an idea.  4 top 10 list per quarter (that's every 3 months people!) on the top shows on TV at that time.  And yes I realize that I am late because it's almost May but hey the idea just hit me so let's roll with it.







So here's how my list will go for this issue.  Because I'm a little late for the quarter, I will break it down into two top 5 lists.  This week I will start with the shows that are no longer 'in season' right now but were the best when they were cranking out new episodes.  

Next week I will cover the shows that you should be watching right now. 









5) Sleepy Hollow

Okay, thinking about the legend of the Headless Horseman and Icabod Crane on paper doesn't sound too enthralling but this show completely captivates you. It has it all for me...Science-Fiction, History, and Nicole Beharie (twice as better looking as Kerry Washington without the lip quiver in dramatic scenes).  Watch 2 episodes of the first season and you will be invested in the characters Icabod and Abbie and ready to go on any adventure with them.  











4) Shameless


What can I say about the Gallagher family?! There have been 5 seasons and there hasn't been one season in which I don't utter the phrase, "What the F*%#?!"  Moments like: 



  • A father pretends to be a boyfriend to his estrange daughter to con her into getting a liver
  • 3 way between husband, wife, and the wife's mother for the sake of conceiving a baby
  • A rebellious daughter has sex with the neighborhood drunk, films it, and sends the video to her ultra religious father who commits suicide.   
And I haven't touched on anything from this past season...do yourself a favor and watch it EVERY episode! 










3) The Walking Dead

Full disclosure: I don't watch the show.  I know, I know why am I putting it on the list? Because you can not deny the impact of the show.  I see your tweets, your instagram posts, and all other social media posts.  I have friends that absolutely swear by it.  The only reason why I don't watch it (yet), is because of all other shows that I have catch up on.  Believe me...I will binge watch that too!!!!











2) How to Get Away with Murder

The newest show from the mind of Shonda Rhimes...oh Shonda, you've done it again.  Much of its run I favored it more than Scandal (and y'all know how I love Scandal).  It had intrigue, twists, turns, and affairs.  Everything you can ask for in a show barring you can get passed Viola Davis's moments when the wig is not on...sorry I crack up every time I see it.  











1) Empire



Hands down it was the best show for the Spring.  What do people love most about this show? Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard's on screen chemistry?  The characters that you can connect with? Loving to hate Lucious Lyon (Terrence Howard)? The music inspired by the show produced by super producer Timbaland? All answers apply.  The only concern is that there may have been too much too soon with the story lines.  A lot has happen in 12 episodes. Personally I would like them to slow down and take the time to develop stories. Perhaps with the confidence Fox showed by renewing the show for another season 10 days after the premier may help with my fears.  All in all...great show.  


Those are just my thoughts ladies and gentlemen...just what I was feeling a the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment