Friday, May 22, 2015

The Damn Newsletter: Jockin' My Style

Greetings and Salutations,

After a week hiatus, I'm back and I have a lot to say.  But before I do...let me take you back with a song most of y'all don't know...




Craig Mack -- Jockin' My Style



Now why did I find a practically forgotten Craig Mack track to start off my newsletter.  So glad you ask...  



For as long as I can remember, I have had a certain person (who shall remain nameless) not only "jockin' my style" but taking credit for my work.  I don't mean how most bosses do stating "It was a team effort".  That one I'm used to dealing with at work.  This one is different.  I come up with an idea, work on the concept, put in the hard work in to create it, and well to paraphrase a line from Jay-Z's popular 1998 single, "Hark Knock Life"...



This person stretched the game out, etched my name out, put their name on top...and well you can guess the rest.  




Yes, I know it happens at everyone's job and my situation is not unique.  But I feel that's all the more reason to discuss this issue as far as I'm concerned.  Just because it occurs all the time doesn't make it acceptable.  It's bullshit.  Bullshit plain and simple.  




One of my life's rules...yes, I have rules to this shit...I wrote me a manual (had to throw a Biggie line in here) but that is for another newsletter.  I digress.




One of my life's rules is give people their just due.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a superstar at work...you know like I am outside of work...but when someone assists me with something or does something outstanding I'm along for the ride (no matter how rare), I praise them to their face and to others.  It's more than common courtesy.  It's a requirement to be a decent human being.  




So here's the part of this where I give simple advice to counteract this behavior.  Well...you could be diplomatic and pull the person aside and tell them how you feel and both of you work (one on one or with a mediator) to address issues and come to a happy win-win...


Or...


You can do what I'm gonna do and wait until the next time we work together, do all the work, and email any and everybody that has a leadership title that this project would not have been successful without yours truly and assert my dominance over someone who isn't in my stratosphere.  



Hey, I'm not saying it's the best thing to do...but it is MY thing to do and this method will get me my second favorite word in the English language...Retribution!!!!



But those are just my thoughts...right or wrong...just what I'm feeling at the time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment