Tuesday, October 6, 2015

I'm not Your Back-up Quarterback...

Greetings and Salutations,

I have been gone for a minute but hopefully this newsletter will explain why and as always give you a sense of my mind these days. I'm just gonna get into it.  




Has anyone seen this commercial? 





"I bet if they just had the chance, some of these back-ups would really shine"
 Luke McCown





Funny as hell.  But it makes you feel a little bad for Luke McCown. I mean it's not like he's a bum from the streets.  He did have a successful college career.  


At Louisiana Tech *gulp* (Sorry hard to say that school...inter-state college rivals and all) he had a pretty stellar career.  



  • Number 2 all-time team leader in passing TDs, passing yards, and total offense
  • NCAA record for most plays for a freshman in a single game
  • NCAA record for most attempted & completed passes in a single game
  • NCAA record for most seasons of 2,000+ yards (4)


Now as far as the NFL...let's just say he hasn't had that much success but he hasn't gotten that much of an opportunity either.  


Why my sudden interest in Mr. McCown? Well I can relate to the back up quarterback role.  



I am 35 years old.  Roughly sexually active for 20 years. About a dozen girlfriends.  A few...uh..."special friends".  And several love interests...what can I say I'm a lover.  At one point I had about 23 women that called me their best friend. 


But how many of them considered me a starter? How many of them considered my their first choice?  Not a fill in...not a someone to make them feel special when they were at their low point.  Hmm...we'll just say there wasn't a lot of "teams" knocking on my door to be their starting quarterback of their franchise.  





I know back-ups get a bad rap but allow me to introduce you to some former back-up QBs that took advantage of their opportunity and excelled.


Kurt Warner Super Bowl XXXIV MVP














Steve Young NFL & Super Bowl XXIX MVP



















Tom Brady  4 x Super Bowl Champ, 3 x Super Bowl MVP, 2 x NFL MVP













So for years...I screamed put me in coach!!!! But no one wanted to take a chance on me.  







Then September 12th happened.  I got married.  And all of the teams that considered me a back up seem to be devastated that I was no longer available.  I have loss Facebook friends, people have stopped communicating with me altogether, and so much more.  As the person that I am, this does upset me.  I even feel guilty to a certain extent.  


But where the hell were you all when I was waiting to be signed? 


Where were the...

 I love yous
I need yous
You have always been there for me

Nowhere to be found.



But what I did hear was the...

I love you like a brother
I would never jeopardize our friendship with a relationship

or my personal favorite...

I love you too much to ever have sex with you. 

But there are others like the one on this video...






So the question is why am I whining about it now? I know you're saying..."you're married.  You've finally got someone that considers you a starter.  So what's the issue?"


Well to quote Jay-Z...

"Ain't nothing change but the year it is...I think I have to send you a reminder...here it is!"


Those are just my thoughts...right or wrong...just what I was feeling at the time...








No comments:

Post a Comment